Friday, November 25, 2011

Daddy Issues Pt. 2: I'm Single Because I Have a Dad?

"So now I have to have bad luck in love because I have a positive relationship with my dad?? Bullshyt." - Me.

A couple weeks ago I wrote about how absent fathers and negative father relationships adversely impact men. While writing that post and speaking with some of my girlfriends about "daddy issues", I began thinking of another take on this subject that seemed worth writing about.

Most of my close girlfriends are single. Not just, "I'm not married yet so on applications I check single" single, but "I don't have a steady man that's even worth talking about" single. They're attractive, educated, smart, ambitious women with pleasant personalities, but they're all single. Maybe it's just a sign of the times or merely a correlation between singletude and living in big cities with terribly uneven eligible male to female rations. But then again, maybe it's more than that.

I'm an over-thinker so of course I started to look for a common thread or theme among us. And as I started to do so, I thought about our family backgrounds. Almost all of my friends, myself included, who are super single, either come from two parents households or family situations where they have great relationships with their fathers. Could women with positive father relationships in their lives be negatively effected by such a great thing when it comes to dating?

I've talked to one of my married friends who has a different family background about this, hey Mira boo!, and she sort of agrees here. According to her take, women, like the aforementioned, create fairytale-like qualifications for their future mates based off of the positive relationships they have with their fathers. Instead of just dating guys for the fun of it, they want to find a man, THE man, who is going to be their husband because that's what they're used to seeing. I don't necessarily disagree here, but I don't exactly agree with that take either.

I look at it like this: how often do you hear people say, "I want my kids to have it better than I did. I want to be able to give them more than I had."? Pretty frequently right? When a woman has a great relationship with her dad, this is exactly what happens. Instead of saying, let me settle down with this guy who may not be bringing much to the table, they(we) want the guy who we see has the potential to give us AT LEAST what our fathers gave us. Is that so wrong? It doesn't mean we won't give a guy who hasn't quite made it, but is on his way there, a chance. It may however, mean we're less likely to let a man stick around who doesn't have it together at all and doesn't exemplify those characteristics that we love in our fathers. For many of us, our dads are our frame of reference for what we want in a man.

I love that my father was a great provider for us growing up. He worked hard to keep the roof over our heads and food on the table. And at the same time made it possible for my mother to be a stay at home mom until I reached 7th grade. Do I think i'm going to meet a man right now who will be 100% cool with me being a housewife while he goes out to work everyday? Not necessarily. But I do want a man who realizes the importance of love, trust, family and sacrifice and how those factors work together to create a successful family unit. My dad also has drive and ambition. He's helped to create plans that have impacted pretty much every person in the DMV if you ride public transportation. Ever rode an express metro bus or used a student pass growing up? My dad's ideas/plans(yep! I'm bragging right now). With a dad that great, why should I be aiming to settle for a man who lacks those very same qualities? Just like I have a father I can brag on, I want a husband I can brag on as well. *Cue Drake - Make Me Proud*

I'm sure this may be an unpopular opinion but eh, it happens sometimes. What do you all think? When it comes to daddy issues, are women "damned if you do damned if you don't"? Or am I merely blowing smoke out of my a$$?


4 comments:

  1. Oh my word... The idea that single women with great fathers are single because of that very fact is so ridiculous. How could seeing and experiencing a healthy relationship ever effect someone negatively?

    I kind of feel like people who use that argument feel like great-father-having women want a partner who will treat them like their dad did and I don't think that is true. I think these women have learned what a healthy relationship is from the relationship between their dad and MOM and that is what is wanted for their future marriage. I think it would be kind of creepy and gross to want a man to treat you like your father did lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I'm mad you said "Oh my word". But yeah, I don't think that is THE reason why some of us are single, I can see how it can be a contributing factor though. And even something that may intimidate the men we date.

    Having a healthy frame of reference for marriage and the way a man should treat a woman/family is so rare these days that I think it can be difficult for some people to understand where you're coming from. Especially if that's not what they experienced growing up.

    I do want to marry a man who has some of the basic characteristics that my father has, and at the same time when I become a wife/mother I hope to embody some of the traits my mother possesses.

    And in response to your last comment, I knoooow you've heard of the Elektra complex lol, not that this is exactly what that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I literally yelled out "oh my word" when I started to read it because my family just finished having "family time" lol so I'm like "this great time that I'm having with my family could potentially hurt me in some aspect of my life?"

    I don't even think it's a contributing factor or maybe I don't understand how it could be...please enlighten me lol. There are many factors as to why one could be single: crazy, demented, stinky, shallow, by choice, etc. etc, but to say that one of the factors is that they had a good dad is silly. If anything having this frame of reference can only help someone, not be a hinderance.

    I do agree that people who were not blessed with great fathers do not understand.

    And to the electra complex...I don't think that is what the situation is but I think that's what people THINK it is.

    Lastly, I think I'm being so passionate because I love my daddy so much. lol.

    http://cutekinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting..... I think everyone is different. I come from a broken home and I'm single so what's my issue? I know someone that grew up with both parents and I hate to say it but basically got married just because she thought it was the thing to do and clearly it is not in her situation. So I feel everyone has a different story and a different reason.

    ReplyDelete