Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Share you? No problem.

Open marriage.

Yes, I said open marriage. Is there really such a thing? Why is there such a thing?

So lately I've been hearing things here and there about the concept of swinging and open marriages. Catching a clip on HBO Real Sex about a swinging camp really made me just go ahead and write this entry. I'm all down with the unconventional relationship thing. I don't care if you're heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or polyamorous. Honestly, I say do what you do. But what's really the point of being married if you plan on being with other people at the same time? Why not just keep on dating and forget about even putting a title on it?

I started thinking about this topic after the idea of Will and Jada being swingers popped back up following their interview on Oprah the other week, and the topic became a discussion while I was sitting in the hairdresser. I don't know for a fact whether they swing or not, I mean if it works for them, then so be it. They've definitely lasted longer than a lot of other Hollywood couples. But it still made me wonder what the point is in having a marriage where you are committed, by law, to one person but comitted to exploring other people at the same time?

While watching the HBO segment, one of the swingers they spoke with expressed the feeling that it goes against human nature to be monogomous. By being in such relationships we're forcing ourselves to go against our true desires, ie. being able to be with people aside from our significant other whom we find ourselves attracted to. Another swinger even went on to reference how high the divorce rate is and how many people end up divorced because someone ended up cheating due to a lack of communication. Could there be something to this?

Does the current institution of marriage go against our human nature? Would we all be just a liiiittle bit happier if open relationships and marriage were the norm? And how do you deal with jealousy? I mean, it would seem to me that that would be tough to avoid. What may seem like a good idea in the conceptual phase, could become a tough pill to swallow when your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend falls hard for someone else.

This topic is a tough one to understand for me, but maybe y0u all could offer some insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment