Monday, October 18, 2010

Dates: The Best & The Worst**

Last night I was filling out this dating questionnaire thing, which may become relavent to this blog in the near future but we shall see (don't you love when people are sharing and being secretive at the same time?). And on the questionnaire there were two questions that prompted me to write this post:

1. What was the best date I had been on?
2. What was the worst date I had been on?

Hmmmmm. Upon reading these questions, I definitely was sent on a trip back through memory lane. My dating history isn't incredibly extensive but I did chance upon some buried memories, especially when thinking about the worst. Once I decided on what they were I figured I may as well tell you all about them too. Since I always like to get the bad news out of the way first here's my worst date EVER!

A couple years ago, while I was still in college, I went out with this one fellow a couple times. Everything was going smoothly when all of a sudden things went horribly awry.

He came to pick me up from campus under the guise of going to the movies. At the last minute, after already telling him I had just eaten dinner, he decides he wants to go out to eat. Again, I reinerate to him that I had already eaten but he insisted. We get to the restaurant and as soon as we sit down he begins pressuring me to order something. Time and time again I let him know that I'm not hungry and am perfectly fine simply sitting there waiting for him to finish. All of a sudden as he finishes up, he goes into a loud tirade about how women should be appreciative of men who offer to take them out and when a man takes them out to eat they should at least order food, even if they aren't hungry. At this point I'm not only embarassed but frightened as well because his tone had turned from friendly to demanding and pushy. I could just see myself ending up on an episode of Law & Order SVU or something. Needless to say, after demanding that I be dropped off back at campus I never spoke to this guy ever again. All texts and calls were from then on ignored and I'm sure he knew why.

Now for the best:
There's actually a tie. The two dates are kind of similar so it's eays to see why it was difficult for me to choose between the two.

Best date #1 occured a couple years ago, one again, while I was in college. I almost don't consider it a date but because time was being spent with a person of interest I think it qualifies. My birthday had just passed and one of my guy friends asked me where he could take me for my birthday. I thought about it for a while and gave a simple response: the Smithsonian. If you know me for real, you know that I have a serious love for museums. Having grown up reading National Geographic, I've always been interested in people, places and history so museums are my go to spot. My friend let me pick the museum and then we literally walked through the entire Museum of American History exploring its many exhibits. As we walked through we discussed what we were seeing and just enjoyed each other's company. There was no dinner, no drinks, and actually no money spent at all. But just knowing that someone was willing to take interest in something I was interested in meant a lot.

Best date #2 is a little more recent than the others. While I was up in New York I went on a first date with a guy. We started out at this cute, trendy restaurant that had some great food. The atmosphere alone made it the perfect date spot. The food was inventive(try cooking thinly sliced beef at your table on a salt rock) and tasty while the vibe was cozy. After finishing up dinner he gave me a couple options for what we could do next(like a choose your own adventure) and since I'm naturally indecisive he told me to just sit back and he would take us to the next destination which he ended up choosing. I was semi-surprised to learn that his choice was Ripley's, you know Ripley's Believe it Or Not. What I always assumed was just a silly tourist trap turned out to be a good time. The same piece of me that likes museums took a liking to Ripley's. It's fun and informative and a great way to break the ice with someone to see what they're really into. This date ended up on the best list partially due to my foodie spirit being satisfied but also because it was creative and different.

Anybody up for sharing their best and/or worst dating experiences? I knowwww you all have some good ones :o)

**If you're a guy that I've dated and one of our dates didn't end up on here; don't be offended! If I didn't insist that you take me home, it means I had a good time lol

2 comments:

  1. I can't think of my best date at the moment (and quite frankly am not sure if I can classify one as being the "best"), but I will share my worst.

    My worst didn't consist of the man being rude, negligent or anything that may be characteristic of a "bad date". I met this guy this summer and we had a few great conversations before going out. I was pretty excited about it, b/c I'm ALL about the convo-if we can't have a great conversation with you, I just..well, can't. period. lol So, we met up at a restaurant, had great food, but he was FAWNING over me (I know this sounds mean, right? lol). See this the thing about me--it takes me a WHILE to get comfortable with people-anyone, not just men. Having him stare and try to feed me with his fork was just a bit much..Like I only knew him a couple weeks. He was trying pull me close & poke/tickle me (LMAO) and it just made me SO uncomfortable. So it wasn't that he was a bad guy, he was nice-a great guy; it was that I had never been that uncomfortable on a date. Not to mention the fact that he got wayyy too personal on the 1st date and revealed that he was 100% insecure. -_- Girl, I just couldn't. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I'm mad that I'm just now seeing this! lol. I can definitely see why that was a bad date. If a guy tried more than once to feed me off his fork I would have to get up and walk out; I'm too OCD for such foolishness lol. And on sharing he is insecure, I swear some people have no filter.

    ReplyDelete