Saturday, February 13, 2010

Why Does Valentine's Day Matter Anyway?

But then again, why shouldn't it?

For over a week I have heard various people lamenting over the coming of Valentine's Day and what it means or doesn't mean to them. Many people I hear who are anti-VDay, say it's a Hallmark holiday, created just for us to spend, spend, spend. But seriously, what holiday(including birthdays) isn't? What's wrong with choosing to celebrate those people that you love and care for in your life? My theory is that people who are seriously anti the day of love fall into 1 of 3 categories; they are either:

1. alone and don't want to be
2. cynical
3. just plain 'ol cheap

I haven't had a valentine in 5 years and don't have one this year, and still the hopeless romantic in me can't turn my back on VDay. I love the idea of there being a day set aside just to celebrate love. It's like you go out on this day and you can just breath in the happiness as couples of all ages show their appreciation for each other. It's unfortunate that people get so caught up with thinking that to show someone they care, they have to go out and spend a lot of money, that we forget what the day is actually about. It's not about who gets the biggest bouquet or gets taken to the nicest restaurant, but making sure that the special people in your life know just how much you appreciate them.

VDay can be especially complicated for us ladies. No matter what we may say out of our mouths, if we don't have someone to share this day with, we feel some type of way about it. I've already had 2 guys ask me why I don't have a valentine and you better believe I almost snapped on the last dude lol (I mean come on. Why would I know why I don't have a date and secondly what kind of question is that anyway??).

So to my guys out there, let the the women in your life, especially the single ones(even if she really is only a friend), know that you're thinking of them. It could be as small and simple as a text or e-mail saying "Happy VDay, I appreciate you". You never know how much the little things matter. :o)

Happy Valentine's Day Everybody!!

2 comments:

  1. Preach sister! I agree with you 1000%! It is so annoying to hear those that complain about Vday and their quintessential arguement against it.. "You should show the person you love them all year around, not just Valentine's day"...well duh!! But it is a fun, lighthearted holiday to let the ones you love know that they are loved and appreciated. No more,no less. And let's be real here. Who wouldn't want to recieve chocolates, flowers or any other little token of love/appreciation? I bet those that complain about the holiday the most would recieve a gift with open arms if one was given to them today lol!

    Happy Valentine's Day Miss DyannaLynn! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are soooo alike! And every time I read your posts, it's like I've written it myself. I agree, I haven't had a Valentine in, um...quite a few years lol...however, I definitely appreciate it...It is what it is...If you don't see the point of it, then fine...don't celebrate it, but leave it be for those who adore it. People always say "You shouldn't have to wait for one day to show your love, blah, blah, blah" which is fine, but for those who choose to go above & beyond on that day, so be it!

    ReplyDelete