Sunday, January 31, 2010

All I Want is A Good Man

I was browsing through a blog that I follow and one of the posts posed the question, "What does it mean to be a good man?". I mean, it's common to hear a woman complaining about how there are no good men around, or how all they want to find is a good man. But what does that really mean?

"Good" is one of those relevative terms, so what I think is good may not be good to some one else. I've never really said that I wanted a "good man" though, I do want a man who is honest, committed, funny, intelligent, kind, and driven. Many of those characteristics make up what many would think is a good person period. However; I think what most of us, when we say we want a good man, are really saying we want a man who will do as we want him to.

We want someone who is going to be the Prince Charming we always read and dreamed about. He would come sweep us off our feet and be ready to commit exactly when we we're ready. Unfortunately though, like ourselves, no one is perfect. So when we start talking about finding a "good man", we need to keep that in mind. And at the same time we need to be good women! How're you going to find your ideal mate, if you're all messed up and rotten inside. The right person, will come at the right time and sometimes that isn't until you've gotten yourself together and well...right! Maybe that's what I should start saying... I'm looking for the RIGHT man for me. I think that's much more identifiable than "good".

What do you all think? Is there a such this a good man? If so, where are they since it seems like so many women can't find them?

3 comments:

  1. You know the saying "good guys finish last" I think that's partially true. Many times as females we tend to overlook the "good guy" or should I say the guy that is good for us due to unrealistic standards we place for the opposite sex. I also agree that we must have ourselves together before getting with the right guy.

    Don't get me wrong - I still think everyone woman has her "prince charming" she's just gotta recognize him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both! It's so funny that a good guy comes along when you least expect it or when you're not looking for a certain guy. For example, I reconnected with my current boyfriend December 2008, at chuuch. We grew up in the same chuuch, but since he's four years older, he didn't pay me any attention, lol. After my last one dumped me, I bumped into my guy and he wanted to get to know me. He turned out to be a man that I wasn't looking for and SO not up to the qualifications I set for guys in the past. He's treated me so much better than any guy I've dated and I never expected to see him again.

    SO, the point is, we gotta stop looking and trying to help God. He always surprises us with the men that HE prepares for us. And, He prepares us for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Absolutely loved that last point

    ReplyDelete